Monday, September 1, 2008

My 100 ASL signs

October brings 100 signs expressed by Reuben (Age 16 months). Between 18-24 months we're looking at a developmental goal of 80 signs so we're feeling absolutely delighted with this progress. His little sentences, I love Mama, Dirty diaper, More milk continue to amaze us, as does his little routine when I make the sound of a creaking door, he'll sign Door-Keys-Window in rapid succession.
Alphabet
A
B
C
D
E

People
Mama
Daddy
Baby (has now replaced the sign when with me to signing Sleep, Gentle and then rubbing my baby bump)
You
I
Nurse
Boy
Animals & characters
Bird
Cat
Crocodile
Dog
Elephant
Elmo (Sesame St)
Fish
Frog
Giraffe
Horse
Lion
Monkey (I think this is his favourite especially when Daddy does his monkey impression)
Pig
Zebra

Playtime
Ball
Book
Mirror
Peek-a-boo
Play
Teddy bear

Food & Drink
Apple
Cookie
Cracker
Drink
Eat
Juice
Lemon
Milk
Pumpkin

Verbs, adjectives, expressions, manners
All done/finished
Bye bye
Clap hands
Cough (if I can only teach him to cough with the actual action, that'd save suctioning!)
Gentle
Good
Love
More
Rolly polly
Sit
Sorry
Stretch
Thank you
Time
Wink
Transport
Airplane
Boat (this was so sweet. I was cooking, he was watching Signing Time beside me and I looked over to see him signing Boat)
Bus
Car
Train

Body
Elbow (difficult to differentiate in sound from Elmo but one of his most pristine signs)
Eyes
Feet
Hair
Head
Knees
Mouth
Nose
Shoulders

Clothing & accessories
Diaper
Dirty (signs dirty diaper)
Hat
Socks
Glasses
Shoes
Trach
Trousers

Bedtime
Bath
Bed
Blanket
Brush teeth
Clean
Comb hair
Pajamas
Sleep
Wash hands
Home & Garden
Flower
Window (just do a creaking door sign and you'll get the whole package: Door, Key, Window)
Door
Keys
Dirt
Fan
Tree
After our last Chiro, Dr Charlie and his wife went out to dinner and thought, well, that was the first conversation I've ever had with a 15 month old and today, I noticed Dr Charlie veering away from his client to watch Reuben showing off in the adjacent room. Very touching. If anyone has any ideas where we can continue to go with signing, I'd love to hear. I'm so glad that Kristina has taken on the challenge too and is up to speed with all Reuben's signs (she got a bit jealous when Reu signed I love nurse to Barbara, the night nurse) and the alphabet. We couldn't ask for more from her. We watch the Baby Signing Time DVDs but Reu learns best on an interpersonal level, with me devoting time on each individual sign, about an hour a day. It's good to recognise that in him too, his preferred learning intelligence.

2 comments:

hannah m said...

Wow! So inspiring...

amy and mighty max said...

That's really, really amazing Catherine! Is he using his signs to communicate his needs...i.e. sleepy time, or watch a video? That is the next step in ASL...not just labeling but using the language. I have a feeling you have said he is doing this...especially if he is spontaneously signing "I love you nurse." Pretty darn incredible...I know it takes a lot of time, but it is soooo worth it, isn't it? :)

The other step is to combine two signs together...car please or more cookies. But again I'm sure you already know this too.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Amy and Maxwell