Sunday, September 13, 2009

Hummus




I'm a hummus fiend..love the stuff so I'm delighted to have devised this recipe to make it to perfection. I always found the store varieties (1) too expensive (2) lacking texture. So here's my recipe, made using organic ingredients where possible, enjoy:

Blend to a coarse puree:

* 1 can garbanzo beans/chick peas*
* 2 tablespoons tahini*
*1 glove chopped garlic*
* 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
* 1 1/2 lemons*
* Sea salt*
* cayenne pepper*
* fresh garden herbs (eg oregano, basil)*

Callum loves it too as is (cayenne included) but if you want to give your baby a sesame free version to reduce the risk of allergies, just omit the tahini. Personally, I've exposured Callum to most foods in the last month and he loves the above with wholewheat (wholemeal) bread with flax seeds. You can also add fresh chilis for a kick inside.

2 comments:

Victoria Nelson said...

mmmm...and it was sooo delicious! i ate it (all by myself) in the span of two days. does that make me a glutton...or just prove the point of how good your hummus is? =)
lots of love,
victoria

JENN said...

Extra yummy "hummus" - best ever tasted as a healthy dip or top on a turkey sandwich....very tasty..

Love your homemade dip and
Thanks for your recipe sharing...


JGF